Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dillweed Potato Broccoli Soup

5 Stars!  I love this soup!
I've made it many times for my family and for parties and everyone loves it.
I think it's the dill that we love, I don't know.
Here it is as the vegetables cook
Once it was finished my 13 yr old suggested putting bacon in.  I didn't have any on hand, but that is good in this soup.
I've had men mention the lack of meat so you could cook some sausage or hamburger to go in it too.

Ingredients:
4 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups diced onions
4 cups diced potatoes
3 cups broccoli
2 carrots, shredded
3 cups water - or more to cover cooking vegetables
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried dillweed
3 cups milk
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Instant potatoes (optional to thicken the soup)

In a large saucepan, melt the butter.  Saute the onions until golden.  Add potatoes, broccoli, carrots, water, salt, pepper, and dillweed.  Bring to a boil, reduce to low, and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 25 mins).  Stir in milk, cheese, and parsley and heat until hot.  If you want a thicker soup, stir in some instant potato flakes or buds during the last few mins of cooking, but BE CAREFUL because it will thicken after a few minutes and you don't want mashed potato soup (I did that once, oops).

No comments:

Post a Comment